This recipe was created when I had leftover quinoa from the night before and decided to use it to make a warm breakfast. It has since become a weekly staple that I look forward to. Packed with superfoods, I call it the breakfast of champions and is a great way to start the day!
Warm Quinoa Porridge with Fresh Fruit and Toasted Coconut
Leftover quinoa gently cooked with almond milk, coconut and cinnamon, topped with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey...
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 1 serving
- ¼ cup quinoa
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut milk plus extra for drizzling on top
- ¼ tsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- Small piece of cinnamon stick
- ⅛ tsp vanilla extract (or scrape the inside of a vanilla bean)
- 1 Tbsp dried sultanas
- 1 tso chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated coconut, lightly toasted
- 1 Tbsp sliced almonds (or any nuts), lightly toasted
- 1 Tbsp local honey
- ¼ cup seasonal fruit, diced (mango/banana/papaya etc)
- To make quinoa, first rinse under running water in a sieve.
- Transfer to a small saucepan, add ½ cup water and simmer on low heat, covered, until quinoa is soft and fluffy, about 7-10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to stand with the lid on for 5 minutes. (skip this step if you have leftover quinoa)
- Remove lid and add almond milk, coconut milk, sugar, cinnamon stick and vanilla.
- Simmer on low heat for approximately 5 minutes until some liquid has dried up and quinoa is soft.
- Add dried sultanas, chia seeds, half of the toasted coconut and nuts and stir until evenly incorporated.
- Add some water if necessary to get desired consistency.
- Turn off heat and transfer quinoa to a bowl.
- Drizzle coconut milk and honey on top.
- Top with fresh fruit and garnish with remaining grated coconut and nuts.
- Serve warm.
Leave a Reply